Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's good to be King!





Our last day in Paris we took the 40 minute ride on the Metro to Versailles... The largest palace in Europe. And it was HUGE! We both were simply awe struck by the size of this palace (and we only got to see the main rooms). As we walked through the palace Jared and I kept saying it would be great to be King and Queen and to have a home like Versailles... I soon started refering to Jared as "my lord" he really got a kick out of that!





This is us checking out the ceiling... Everything in each room is so ornately designed. If it wasn't the richly painted ceilings, then it was the walls covered in either marble, wood paneling, or fabric. I could have studied the design and architecture of the building FOREVER... in fact I would have been more than delighted to move in!



This is entering the Hall of Mirrors. A room that is an example of perfect symmetry... my favorite! It is a LONG room over 200 ft. Along one wall are windows overlooking the gardens, on the opposite wall are mirrors - each one lined up PERFECTLY with the window. What a grand room. I imagined wonderful Balls with dancing and entertaining for all the men and women of the court!



This room was Marie Antoinettes... BEAUTIFUL and Ornate to say the least. My favorite is the "fence" in front of the bed. That is what divided the room into "her" personal space with only a handful of servants able to enter and the public space. It is a little hard to see but there is a doorway to the left of the bed it is the secret door that she escaped through when the mob came to take her away to behead her. Also, this was the room the Queen delivered all the Kings children... with an audience watching. How else would they know that the child was surely the Kings?



This is a study on the main floor of Versailles. Do you see the two people together in the mirror... that is Jared and I! Plus check out the size of the globe... it was a gift.



Because it wasn't cold enough... Jared and I decided to walk through the gardens to the 2 other homes of King Louis XV... Petit Trianon and the Grand Trianon... What a walk. And although everything was hibernating for the winter we were able to see the symmetry and order of the gardens. Can you imagine how these gardens look in the spring! I can't wait to return.



Saying good-bye to Versailles.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally see you living there! The second picture should be in a contest, it's incredible! It looks like a painting! I think we were born in the wrong century sometimes...then I think...naaa, I wouldn't want to wear the corsets!

    ReplyDelete